The beret is back as a fashion accessory, soaring in popularity after being featured in many fashion shows. But wearing a beret is not always an easy task. There’s just so many different ways to wear a beret that it is often overlooked which is too bad. This hat can really make a wardrobe, and when worn with certain styles it makes a bold and beautiful statement.
So, don’t ignore it simply learn how to wear a beret the right way–with style and class (not like a French painter, or pastry chef) and you can take your style to a whole new level.
Proper Way to Wear and Position a Beret
The first step to learning how to wear a beret is understanding exactly how to position it on your head. Berets are meant to be worn off to one side.
- Place the beret on your head with the rim about a half inch to an inch off your ears and 3/4 of the way up your forehead. The back should come down to the back of your neck but fit comfortably.
- Tuck in the Brim. Push the brim up and under, pulling the edge fabric down and over it so it does not show. The brim is very small and located on one side of the beret’s edge
- Position the Beret Properly. Pull one side of the beret down and over your ear so it appears properly tilted.
- Adjust the Beret until you find an appropriate balance and look. Adjusting a beret is an art form in and of itself. There’s no real “correct” way to tile a beret, its whatever you feel looks best. Pulling the beret down farther over the ear simply creates a more dramatic look, but it also makes the beret look flatter. Pull up on the top of the beret to reduce the tilt and gain a fuller look.
- Secure the Beret to Your Hair. Use a bobby pin or other method to make sure it does not move. Berets are notorious for sliding around and if it is loose fitting, or you have full hair, don’t wear a beret without pinning it to your hair. This results in constant adjustments that can ruin your look.
Looking to buy one? Shop designer berets
Choose the Right Styles to Wear With a Beret
A beret won’t complement all styles, but it can add interesting dynamics to different types of outfits.
- Wearing a Bear with Casual Oufits. A beret can turn into designer outfits if you add a beret. Wear one with jeans and a cool leather jacket for a stylish, artistic look. Or, add one to your favorite blouse to bring out its color. The beret can be worn with just about any casual look that can use a little pinache.
- Wearing Berets with Designer outfits. A fancy dress and stylish blouse are elevated by a matching or offsetting color beret. They are often worn with high-fashion suit coats, lending a truly hip but fashionable look. Pair one with any modern style that could use a glamorous accessory.
- Wearing a Beret with Long Hair Can Be a Challenge. Long hair can simply get in the way when wearing your beret. Never put the hair in a bun, you can’t wear your beret with a bun. It won’t fit over it, and it rarely stays in place when placed above it. Let your hair hang straight on the sides. It will look beautiful flowing out of the beret.
- How to Wear a Beret with Curly Hair. Wearing a beret with curlier hair is possible, it can even look amzing when done correctly.
Position the beret on your head in the same way but style the curly hair so it flows out and around the sides of your face and down your shoulders. Larger curls will interfere with the positioning and can impact the beret’s staying power, so avoid wearing a beret with larger curls if possible. The best look is long, small diameter curls or loose wavy hair.